1. AKEBAR PARK, The Friar’s Head & Pool Bar, Akebar Park Caravan Park, Leyburn, North Yorks, DL8 5LY (01677 450201): This modern building on the main A684 is convincingly decorated in “olde worlde” style. It serves campers at the adjacent site and is also open to the public, serving good food. In summer a second poolside bar is also opened.
2. BEDALE, Green Dragon, 16 Market Pl, DL8 1EQ (01677 425246): Comfortable one-room bar on High Street. Part of the Marston group.
3. BEDALE, Hemelvaart Bier Cafe, The Bridge, Aiskew, DL8 1AN (01677) 427824: This Belgian beer cafe has a wide range of bottled beer and craft beer on offer.
4. BEDALE, Old Black Swan, 19 Market Pl, DL8 1ED (01677 422973): This comfortable old traditional-style market town inn has several separate drinking areas and is handy for the town’s main bus stop.
5. BEDALE, Three Coopers, 2 Emgate, DL8 1AH (01677 422153): Interesting town pub in a side street just off Bedale’s main street at the ‘Gateway to the Dales’. Decorated in a ‘rustic’ style with bare stone and brick walls and wood floor and opened out into three main drinking areas. The nearby Wensleydale Railway station reopened in 2004 after 50 years with no trains.
6. BEDALE, Waggon & Horses, Market Pl, DL8 1EQ (01677 422747): Town centre local with distinctive wood paneled bar area with dark wood beamed ceiling. A side room is now opened out into main area. Was Bedale’s last free house until 2001, now part of the Enterprise Inns chain.
7. BEDALE, White Bear Hotel, 1 South End, DL8 2BJ (01677 422518): On busy crossroads in the centre of town, this pub has begun stocking a range of guest beers in 2009. The main drinking area and bar is formed out of two rooms knocked through, with a smaller room near the front door.
8. BURNESTON, Woodman Inn, Main St, near Bedale, DL8 2HX (01677 422068): Bar caters for locals and passers-by from nearby A1, its restaurant offers wide menu but specialises in fish. Occasional live music.
9. CARTHORPE, Fox & Hounds, near Bedale, DL8 2LG (01845 567433): In a small village close to the A1, this free house specialises principally in food.
10. CONSTABLE BURTON, Wyvill Arms, near Leyburn, DL8 5LH (01677 450581): On main A684 opposite Constable Burton Hall and gardens, this attractive three-roomed pub operates largely has a business based largely on food trade using locally-sourced produce. Large, attractive beer garden.
11. CRAKEHALL, Bay Horse Inn, The Green, near Bedale, DL8 1HP (01677 422548): Pleasant free house facing onto the picturesque village green, the interior has been opened out into one main lounge with a smaller room running off it. The bay windows form cosy alcoves. Food is available.
12. EXELBY, Green Dragon, High Row, near Bedale DL8 4HA (01677 422233): Large pub in small village between the A1 and Bedale. Stone-flagged public Bar is divided into two rooms and features an impressive range. Lounge is also in two parts, all decorated in ‘olde worlde’ style, complete with leather settees and a vintage motorbike. Food is available either in the lounge or in the large restaurant at the rear of the pub. B&B is available and the grounds include a beer garden and a caravan park.
13. FINGHALL, Queen’s Head, near Leyburn, DL8 5ND (01677 450259): Thriving pub in isolated village, offers bar meals or dining in restaurant but retains its focus as a community pub. There is traditional decor with oak beams and a real fire and the interior is partitioned into several cosy nooks and crannies. Beer garden with pleasant views over Wensleydale, and B&B. A few minutes walk from Finghall station on the Wensleydale Railway.
14. HUNTON, Countryman’s Inn, near Bedale, DL8 1PY (01677 450554): Welcoming and thriving community free house which survived near closure after a lively campaign by villagers. The new owners have built up trade again and there is a wide ranging food menu.
15. KIRKLINGTON, Black Horse, The Green, near Bedale, DL8 2ND (01845 567122): The pub includes an internet cafe, village Post Office and art gallery and there are regular social events. There is also a small caravan site.
16. LEEMING BAR, White Rose Hotel, Bedale Rd, near Bedale, DL7 9AY (01677 422707) Part of the small Town & Village Hotels, it also includes a motel and offers food, with a conservatory and conference facilities.
17. LEEMING VILLAGE, Willow Tree Inn, 51 Roman Rd, near Bedale, DL7 9SN (01677 423903): Owned by Samuel Smith Old Brewery, it is close to the RAF’s Leeming air base.
18. PATRICK BROMPTON, Green Tree Inn, near Bedale DL8 1JW (01677 450262): Cosy, Grade II listed, village pub overlooking the main A684 Wensleydale road at western edge of village, next to the Parish Church gates. Small, cosy bar with real fire and brick-built bar and chimney breast. The restaurant is in a separate room, a little larger but still with a country pub atmosphere. Home cooked meals most days, with vegetarian options and children’s menu. Watch the narrow car park entrance!
19. SNAPE, Castle Arms, near Bedale, DL8 2DW (01677 470270): In the centre of a attractive village just off A1 and close to Thorpe Perrow arboretum, the pub takes its name from the adjacent castle, formerly home to Catherine Parr, last of Henry VIII’s wives. Excellent reputation for both its food and its beer, it has a real country pub feel, with church pews, brasses and old pictures of country sports, not to mention a splendid fireplace. Small Caravan & Camping Club site at rear.
20. WELL, Millbank Arms, Church St, near Bedale, DL8 2PX (01677 470411): Interesting old pub full of charm and atmosphere in a small village between Bedale and Masham. Several years ago its future was in doubt but it is now thriving. There is a small, comfortable bar with an alcove beneath the staircase with an alcove beneath the staircase and a separate dining room but meals are very popular and intending diners should book in advance.
The guide is copyright of CAMRA and intended for private use only. Reproduction or commercial use of the data is not permitted without the express written permission of CAMRA North West Yorkshire.